Dodge WC51, ¾-ton, 4x4, Weapons Carrier
From 1943 on, the Soviet Union received almost 25,000 WC, mainly through the Persian Corridor, where the vehicles had been delivered in knocked-down state and assembled in the southern truck assembly plants of Korremshahr and Andimeshk (»Little Detroit«).
The vehicles became as ubiquitous on the Eastern battlefields as the Studebaker US6 and the Jeep and, though officially called »Weapons Carrier«, were primarly used as gun tractors and troop carriers.
Beside the WC51 shown here, and the WC52 (with winch), Lend-Lease to Russia included small amounts of the WC53 (»Carryall«) as well. The WC series is widely considered to be the most successful wheeled vehicle of WW2.
The vehicle shown here belongs to an early production badge as is indicated by :
WC51 towing a ZIS-3 76mm AT gun